Image via Wikipedia
Imagine the excitement of the California Gold Rush in the 1850's -- the thrill of the hunt to find valuable gold just waiting for them. The same can be said of your online business. Clients come to me because they are struggling to find the valuable gold assets hidden in their businesses in the form of stories.
What most of these clients don't realize at the outset, is that they don't have to make-up these business stories! They are all around them in their business conversations, presentations and customer interactions -- just waiting to be found.
These business stories can be turned into valuable information products, videos, webinars and so much more. You just need to mine your content like the prospectors who found gold. It was easy to prospect once they got the hang of it. I'm sure you'll find that too, once you know how to recognize business stories.
Here are some tips on finding your valuable gold nuggets:
1. Listen to what you talk to your vendors about every day. What are you telling them you need from them? What do they need from you? Value can be found in combing this content.
2. Listen to customer service calls for success stories and ways to do better. Tell those stories and make sure your staff knows about them.
3. Interact with customers and listen for the metaphors they use about your business. Make sure to notice which metaphors your staff uses to tell your business stories.
4. Write down the story about how you started your business or got involved with the product or service. Tell it to your trusted colleagues and see if they feel inspired or bored.
5. Always frame your stories using your products or services as the solution to your customer's needs in the form of an inspiring story.
Once you start noticing stories and telling them, you'll find that they become a valuable part of your marketing.