Branding isn't easy. If you are a typical online business owner, you try lots of different brand messages hoping to stumble on one that works. You know this isn't the best way to go about it, but you have so many things to do that working on your brand never rises too high on your list.
I think it should be top on your list. Here are three quick tips to help you start thinking about it.
When developing your brand message:
1. Make it simple and obvious. Don't waste anybody's time.
2. Identify exactly who will receive this message and what they need to feel about it. Emotions sell products and services, not feature lists.
3. Make all your messages congruent. This means that all your messages should fit together and tell the same story. You can't be the latest thing and the old reliable thing at the same time.
Start here and try to build on your messages using feedback from your customers.
When it comes to online business owners, there are two types:
1) the ones that make it happen
2) the ones that let it happen.
You know which one you are.
But if you're not satisfied with your status, you can change it. The difference between the two is that one group actively plans and takes steps to create the future. The other group simply reacts and tries to do the best with whatever happens. It's not a position of strength.
The next time you start a project, decide to make it happen and see if you get different results. Be willing to risk failure. If you don't completely succeed, at least you'll learn what to do next time.